Thursday, April 29, 2010

Innovative Engagement

 
The process by which each one of these tools becomes relevant to the learner will vary. While many learners today are familiar with the majority of these tools there are some who still rely heavily on more traditional ways such as email, cellular phones and simple web 2.0 tools. Transcending into the use of tools that require active participation and continuous feedback brings the learner to the next level of collaboration and contribution. It is and should be the goal of education to lead the learner into an active role of becoming a producer of knowledge rather than a passive role of being simply a consumer of knowledge.

Visiting websites for information is an important aspect, but taking that information and processing it to transform it into a unique and original contribution is necessary for true 21st century skill development. Wikispaces, Nings, blogs and other collaborative spaces provide the platform for learners to explore and learn from each other. Their use in educational environments is long due and should accompany every lesson design, not as an 'incorporation of technology' but rather as an integral component of learning.

Regarding content delivery we have already seen and discussed the benefits of well designed multimedia resources. Podcasts, webinars, tutorials, they all address multiple learning styles and empower learners by making content available on demand.

Finally, communicating makes for effective collaboration. The simplicity of modern tools make sharing easy and facilitate constant and immediate feedback possible. We can even post to our blogs from our mobile devices, and share the post using our Twitter accounts, all in mobility and comfort. Great time for sharing and generating new understanding!


Comments for Module 4 posted on:


Response 2 - Cynthia Shelton -       http://shelcy316.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Great chart! I am unfamiliar with Ning. We are struggling to put a calculus course online line and I might check out Ning to see if I can use that tool. We are trying screen casting with a tablet type device to show the process of problem solving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luis,
    Great content. Webinars are great, I've learned how to use the Promethean board through webinars. Could you tell me what's the difference between Nings and Wikis?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm envious that you are able to use the graphic organizer that was the example. I could not figure out how to write on it.

    Is there an essay that goes with this? I am not seeing one if there is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    First, seems like the link to the reflection wasn't working well for Cynthia so I pasted it under the organizer.

    Next, Nings are collaborative communities, something like customizable social media environments. They are flexible enough to fit needs of different fields yet provide the necessary structure to ease their use by users with different skills. I know there are numerous videos on youtube about how to use Ning but honestly the best way is to explore it personally and see if it fits your wants and needs. To me it does, although my use is still limited for lack of true friends who use the tool consistently. Yet I think soon my use will increase since ISTE is promoting its use and I am leading two workshops in Denver this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Luis, I love your concept map. There was a Ning group started on my foundation course, but it hasn't materialized. I hope they re-up it when the professor feels better. On another note, I would love to go to Denver this summer and learn from you, but funds won't permit. I hope you have a great time there. Deb :)

    ReplyDelete